Free Transfer Station
Free bulk garbage drop-off is available for residents who are paid in full on their taxes. The Transfer Station is open for free bulk-drop off on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7:30 – 2:30 from May 20 – September 15. Bulk drop-off is allowed for volumes of up to 250 pounds.
Items accepted at the Transfer Station include:
- Appliances (Freon and non-Freon)
- Car batteries
- Cardboard – corrugated, paperboard, etc. (e.g. cereal boxes)
- Construction and demolition debris
- Furniture and household furnishings
- Metal, scrap (minimal fee)
- Newsprint, office paper, junk mail, magazines, catalogs
- Wood waste
- Yard waste (grass clippings may be dumped at no charge)
Items NOT accepted at the Transfer Station include:
- Household hazardous waste
- New or used motor oil
- Electronic and Household Hazardous Waste Collection
We do NOT accept air conditioners, refrigerators or smoke detectors, those can be recycled at Best Buy and other big box stores.
For disposal of household hazardous waste (this includes button and rechargeable batteries, CFL light bulbs, etc.) contact the Dutchess County Resource Recovery Agency (DCRRA) at 845-63-6020.
- Carpet/Rugs/Padding: must be cut in 4 foot lengths, rolled, bundled and tied. Each roll is one bulk item.
- Construction/Demolition Debris. Items from homeowner’s do-it-yourself projects (scrap lumber, tiles, insulation, pegboard, etc.): bags or containers (less than 50 lbs.) or bundled and tied (less than 50 lbs.) Nails must be removed or flattened. Large panels must be cut in half. Each half is considered one bulk item.
- Doors (solid wood doors, wood garage doors, hollow wood doors): Solid and garage doors panels must be cut in half, each half of the individual panel is considered one bulk item.
- Railroad Ties: must be cut in 4 foot lengths, and then bundled and tied.
- Stockade fencing: must be cut in 4 foot lengths, bundled and tied, loose pickets must be bundled and tied and have nails flattened or removed.
- Rimless Tires. Two rimless tires are permitted for disposal on your second trash collection day each week.
- Pool/Pool Liners: liners and soft plastic molded pools must be cut to 4 foot lengths, rolled, and tied. Each roll is one bulk item.
- Windows (wood frame and plastic frame): Glass must be taped on both sides. Each window is one bulk item.
- Large Toys. Each toy is considered one bulk item.
See ordinance below:
§ 131-9. Free use of the Recycling Center. [Added 8-4-2003 by L.L. No. 12-2003; amended 6-20-2005 by L.L. No. 5-2005]
Each taxpayer in the City of Beacon, whose taxes are paid, will be allowed free use (up to 250 pounds) per tax parcel at the Recycling Center for a period of time starting in May of each year at the discretion of the City Administrator, who will publicize the start date and ending at the end of September each year.